You have the right to express any opinion you like, as long as you express it in a civil manner. I can’t believe I have to explain what that means, but apparently I do, so here goes:
- Comment with a spirit of productiveness and openness, and support your points with evidence and reason. (Yes, this is subjective, but in actuality, it’s very simple to abide by this rule.) Failure to make productive comments will result in deleted comments and eventually the blocking of your account.
- Name calling, ad-hominem attacks, excessive cursing, or any other sort of violent, threatening language will result in your comment being “disemvoweled” (all the vowels in your post will be removed) or deleted entirely.
- Speculation or comments about any commenter’s personal life, and/or posting of someone else’s personal data (such as a phone number), is prohibited.
- Racist remarks (and other sweeping generalizations) are not allowed.
- Comments should be relevant to the post they’re attached to or another comment on that post, repeatedly posting the same thing across posts or repeatedly posting off-topic comments will be considered spamming. Obviously, spam is also not tolerated.
- You may post comments anonymously, but pretending to be someone you are not is not permitted, and should you be discovered doing this, your posts will be deleted and you will be banned from making future comments.
- If you put too many links in a comment, it will be held up in moderation or marked as spam automatically by our system.
- Comments along the lines of “But [Western country] does [object of discussion] as well….” are generally irrelevant, and will be considered off-topic spam, except in discussion of posts that explicitly invite comparison between China and other countries.This is a blog about China. The Western world has many social problems, but generally speaking, this isn’t the place to discuss them.
If you need help figuring out whether your comment is inappropriate, try asking yourself one of the following questions:
- Does my comment make a sweeping, unfounded generalization about a race or nationality?
- Does my comment address the personal life of another commenter?
- Does my comment contain the phrase “Suck it, fuckwad!”?
- Could my comment be confused for an advertisement?
- Does my comment make its point in a way that is uncivil?
- Does my comment make an argument without offering any kind of evidence or rational support?
- Does my comment reflect a spirit of closed-minded stubbornness or the desire to make a political point rather than engage in actual discussion?
- Does my comment make a point about social problems in the United States that have no direct connection to China?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, your comment is going to get deleted.